Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Health and Social Care (Equivalent to 1 A Level)
This qualification is for learners who are interested in learning about health and social care. It is equivalent in size to one A Level. Assessment for this qualification will be two examinations and two pieces of internally assessed coursework.
The Extended Certificate is designed to provide knowledge and understanding of this vocational area. It is an ideal course for students who want a broad background in Health and Social Care, which will allow them to progress onto further / higher education, training and employment.
• Human Lifespan Development – Exam unit (1 hour 30 minutes)
Learners cover physical, intellectual, emotional and social development across the human lifespan, and the factors affecting development and the effects of ageing.
• Working in Health and Social Care – Exam unit (1 hour 30 minutes)
Learners explore what it is like to work in the H&SC sector, including the roles and responsibilities of workers and organisations.
• Meeting Individual Care and Support Needs – Assignment
Learners focus on the principles and practicalities that underpin meeting individuals’ care and support needs, which are the foundation of all the care disciplines.
• Supporting Individuals with Additional Needs – Assignment
Learners explore the role of H&SC services in providing care and support to individual with additional needs.
• Physiological Disorders and their Care – Assignment
Learners explore types of physiological disorders, the procedures for diagnosis, and the development of a treatment plan and provision of support for service users. Disorders covered include diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, asthma, cancers and rheumatoid arthritis.
|Year 12 Unit 1|
|Year 13 Unit 2|
What next after BTEC?
· University e.g. nursing, primary education, social work, physiotherapy, dietetics, public health
· Health, social care and early years apprenticeships
· Trainee caring roles e.g. care assistant in a residential home or a home carer