Choosing the right course is very important. These questions may help you think about a choice which is suited to your strengths and individual needs.
|Option A (Shared)||Option B||Option C||Option D (Shared)||Other|
|Chemistry||Art||History||Biology||Core Ethics – all do|
|BTEC Engineering||Maths||Maths||EN Resit|
|Philosophy Ethics (RE)||Eng Lang||Geography||MA Resit|
|Psychology||Physics||Product Design||Hair and Beauty – if picked then no other subjects needed|
|Health and Social Single||Sports Studies||Philosophy Ethics (RE)|
|French (STW)||Law (STJ)|
|Sociology (STJ)||Applied Science (STJ)|
1. Strengths and Weaknesses
- Have you discussed your preferred choice of subjects with your subject teachers?
- Do you feel comfortable with your chosen subjects at GCSE and able to continue with them to a higher level?
- Are you likely to get the subject specific grades required to succeed at Key Stage 5?
2. Interest and Enjoyment
- Have you demonstrated a genuine interest in a proposed subject?
- Can you think of ways you have shown your interest outside your lessons?
3. New Subjects
- If you are considering a subject completely new to you, what are your reasons for wanting to take it?
- Do you know what the subject involves or relevant skills?
- Have you considered the possible consequences of taking more than one completely new subject?
- Have you spoken to the staff who teach that subject?
4. Career or Higher Education Course Requirements
- If you have a career or higher education course in mind, does your choice of subjects comply with entry requirements to your chosen course?
- Have you researched current requirements first hand from, for example, the universities publications, admissions officers and careers literature?
- Do you know what sort of study the course contains, e.g. does it involve practical work, numeracy, problem solving, essay writing, out-of-school activities?
- Do the skills you will practise reinforce or complement those in your other subjects?
6. Unhelpful Questions
- Which teachers do I like?
- What are my friends doing?