All those who apply for sixth form by the March 31st deadline will be invited to a presentation in April about sixth form at St. Joseph’s.
Students will be offered a place at St. Joseph’s Sixth Form if they meet the following results/ criteria:
- At least five 9 – 4 grades, including mathematics and English Language (there is opportunities to resit Maths and English)
- A minimum of a Merit in the subject they want to study in Vocational Subjects
To complete the online application form click here: online application form
|Art||5 in Art|
|Biology||6/7 in Science|
|Business BTEC||4 in English, 4 in Maths or Merit Level 2 in Business|
|Chemistry||6/7 in Science|
|Computer Science||6 in Maths|
|Engineering BTEC||Merit Level 2 in Engineering or grade 5 in Design Technology and 5 in Maths|
|English Language||5 in English Language|
|English Literature||5 in English Literature|
|French / Spanish||6 in a Higher Paper|
|Geography||5 in Geography or 5 in English and Maths if Geography not taken|
|Health and Social Care||4 in English|
|History||5 in History or 5 in English if History not taken|
|Law||5 in English|
|Politics||5 in English|
|Maths||7 in Maths|
|Maths (further)||8 in Maths|
|Music||5 in Music and working at Grade 5|
|Philosophy and Ethics||5 in Religious Education|
|Photography||4 in Photography or Art|
|Physics||6/7 in Science|
|Product Design||5 in Design Technology|
|Psychology||5 in English and 5 in Maths|
|Sociology||5 in English|
|Sport BTEC||Merit Level 2 in BTEC Sport|
|Hair and Beauty VTCT||4 in English and Maths|
Completing your Application Form
Choose your subjects by ticking the three subjects you wish from the list. You can select four option subjects if you are predicted to get 8/9s in your GCSEs. Specific subjects have their own criteria, for example you will need a grade 7 to take maths at A Level. Please research your intended subject on the key stage 5 subject page.
If you do not achieve a grade 4 in Maths or English, you will be required to resit these subjects with some timetabled support. This will be organised on an individual basis after the induction days in September.
The final application date for places is March 2022 (late entries will be considered this year)
Current Year 11 students will be invited to attend a taster day in January each year where they can sample chosen subjects and speak to the sixth form staff.
Student Learning Agreement
Post 16 education is voluntary so it is important that you make a full commitment to achieving success on your chosen courses. Our Sixth form learning agreement outlines the expectations of a student at St Joseph’s ensuring that everyone is able to reach their potential.
Student Learning Agreement
I acknowledge the following conditions are an integral part of joining the community of St Joseph’s Sixth Form and agree to the content that follows:
Attendance and punctuality terms
- Attend regularly, only being absent for legitimate reasons and notifying absence immediately by phone, followed by a letter from parent/carer
- Arrive on time for ALL lessons
- If my attendance falls below 90% or I am late more than 10% of the time for school or any individual subject then:
- My place in the Sixth Form may be withdrawn
- Should I wish to continue with my studies in the Sixth Form I may need to pay the examination fees for all the examinations I wish to sit.
- Attend tutorials, Life-skills lessons, assemblies and liturgies
Commitment to my studies
- Have high personal standards and expectations in all subjects studied
- Meet all deadlines for both coursework and independent work
- ALL of my work must be my own
- Make effective use of achievement targets
- Make effective use of teaching and learning time
- Make effective use of assessment for learning
- Respond positively to actions put in place to combat underachievement
- Prepare effectively and with commitment for all tests and examinations
- Follow the school dress code
- Be a credit to myself and the school at every opportunity
- Treat all other members of the school community with respect
- Be a good example and role model to the younger students in St Joseph’s
Should any of the above terms and conditions be broken, the school reserves the right to reconsider my place in the Sixth Form and where necessary, withdraw me from my examinations. I understand that in general there is a system of verbal warning, written final warning and dismissal and loss of Sixth Form place. Further to this, there is a reservation made that the Director of Sixth Form has the right and authority to by-pass this system where deemed appropriate.
It is the policy of the school to work in active partnership with students and their parents/carers and we will strive to maintain good home-school communication links on all matters. To show that they fully understand the above conditions, students sign the learning agreement contract.